Locating...
Coos Bay, Ore.
Menu
menu
Fred Harvel, above, talks to two of his dogs Thursday morning near a pile of debris left in his driveway after an electrical fire burned his Independence Street home in the early morning hours. Harvel said he awoke at about 3 a.m. and noticed a wall glowing inside his second-floor bathroom. He and his 11-year-old granddaughter Mackenzie Weber managed to get two younger grandchildren, six dogs and a cat out of the home as the fire spread into the kitchen, the attic and a downstairs laundry room. No one was hurt in the blaze.
Fred Harvel, above, talks to two of his dogs Thursday morning near a pile of debris left in his driveway after an electrical fire burned his Independence Street home in the early morning hours. Harvel said he awoke at about 3 a.m. and noticed a wall glowing inside his second-floor bathroom, then the tiles began to fall off of it. He and his 11-year-old granddaughter Mackenzie Weber managed to get two younger grandchildren, six dogs and a cat out of the home as the fire spread into the kitchen, the attic and a downstairs laundry room. No one was hurt in the blaze.

I got a text this morning from the fire department at about 9 a.m. about a structure fire a few miles away from the newsroom. I got there as quick as I could, but saw no fire and no fire trucks, just a bunch of people milling around a house and driveway. Then I noticed a broken upstairs window and got out to ask questions. Turned out the fire was at 3 a.m. but the text didn’t go out until this morning for some reason. It was fortunate for me, unfortunate for the guy who’s home was partially destroyed. He was open with me and described what he saw when he opened his bathroom door and discovered the fire. Everyone got out unscathed, except some Barbies.

Soot-covered toys lay in a bin outside Fred Harvel's home.
Soot-covered toys lay in a bin outside Fred Harvel’s home.

Leave a reply